Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Bent Man


NEVER HAS A MAN WHO IS BENT HIMSELF
BEEN ABLE TO MAKE OTHERS STRAIGHT.

~Mencius
372-289 BCE

Of Note: Let's face it--we are all a little bent. According to this wise sage, that means we have little ability to tell others how to lead their lives. That may come as a surprise to many who spend much time giving this or that advice. But, in reality, we have no way of knowing what a soul has planned for any particular life. Therefore, judgment should be left at the doorstep. Once tried, it is relatively easy to have no opinion. What a great first step toward simplicity and freedom.

Today's Weather Report: At 42 degrees Fahrenheit, what a nippy day! That was 42 with a stiff breeze to boot. Because I had to drive the lawn tractor almost a half mile down to the pole barn, dressing in several layers was appropriate. The get-up I wore was laughable, though, and included my bright yellow snow pants, winter boots, gloves and a pull-on hat plus several layers underneath a winter jacket. On the walk home, I had to find my gas cap which was missing when I arrived. It was nestled in some weeds half-way down the drive. After that, I borrowed my husband's size 12 waders and retrieved the bubbler part of the aerator from the lake. I didn't have to go far thankfully because the old waders leaked. What an afternoon! It was nice to get back inside where a lovely fire was burning in the fireplace, and dinner was on the table.