Sunday, September 12, 2010

By the Fire I Lit

IN THE DARK
I LOST SIGHT OF
MY SHADOW;
I'VE FOUND IT AGAIN
BY THE FIRE I LIT.

~A Zen Harvest


Of Note: Many companies are having to recreate themselves in the light of current public opinion regarding sustainability. It has been my assertion for years that large international companies will eventually have no choice. Not that everyone is on the same page yet but more and more we are starting to wake up to the fact that we cannot go on like there is no tomorrow. Take Unilever, for instance. It announced last week an investment in Solazyme Inc., a producer of algae oil, which is created from cheap, available bio-matter such as prairie grass, sugar cane and corn husks. What brought the behemoth corporation Unilever to this paradigm shift? In 2008 Greenpeace put a guy in an orangutan suit on the front steps of its corporate office in London to protest the use of palm oil in products such as the ubiquitous Dove soap and Vaseline lotion. In response, Unilever intends to make the switch to algae oil in three to five years after extensive product testing and supply-chain development. Other companies such as Kraft Foods, Nestle and Proctor & Gamble have no plans yet to change from palm oil so Unilever is forging the trail. Earth conscious consumers might want to keep this in mind when they shop.

Today's Weather Report: I arose at a pleasant 55 degrees Fahrenheit this morning with the sun shining through the windows. A lovely day in the neighborhood as my husband likes to chirp. Does anyone wonders why I put this weather report here in my blog on otherwise weighty matters? There is a method to my madness. It is my intention to continue this blog as long as I am physically able--that will be decades, I hope. During that time, these weather reports will create a history of weather patterns in northern Wisconsin during a period the climate is supposed to change dramatically. Eventually, it will be easy to see what happened weather-wise at least in this little part of the world.