Sunday, August 15, 2010

Two Roads

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth,

Then took the other, as just as far,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost

Of Note: Two roads lead to the top of the mountain. One goes straight up the side and the other round and round. Most people traverse the longer trail to the top. Even though both lead to the same destination, some take the less traveled route. It is the more difficult of the two, but worth the effort. Robert Frost was obviously aware of this fact and may have been inviting others to join him on the Path.

Today's Weather Report: Finally, a break in the heat wave, though the South is still in the throes of it--as is Russia. My sister reminded me that Russians are really suffering, and they have no air conditioning either. They continue to fight raging fires as well which is choking the countryside with smoke and killing life-sustaining crops. Accounts of the suffering remind me that a little heat and humidity are not all that bad in the scheme of things.