Friday, March 5, 2010

The Great Day That Dawns

I THINK OVER AGAIN MY SMALL ADVENTURES,
MY FEARS, THOSE SMALL ONES THAT SEEMED SO BIG,
ALL THOSE VITAL THINGS I HAD TO GET AND REACH,
AND YET THERE IS ONLY ONE GREAT THING:

TO LIVE AND SEE THE GREAT DAY THAT DAWNS,
AND THE LIGHT THAT FILLS THE WORLD.

~ Old Inuit Song


Of Note: Light is a topic that few really contemplate for long. It is ubiquitous and therefore ordinary. What more could be said about light than has already been said? The Inuits seem to know something the rest of us don't. Apparently, they see a day in the future where a different light fills the world than what is already here. I would imagine that they mean this in a literal rather than figurative sense. Many may not give credence to native beliefs, but the aboriginal people might be on to something.

Today's Weather Report: Old Man Winter is making his yearly decision whether it is time to go. With temps in the high 30's all week, it would appear he is packing his bags....though he usually has a snow storm or two to throw at us on his way out. According to my sister, Marie, the tulips are already coming up in Texas. The plants on my southern windowsill must know this because 4 different kinds are in bloom. Even the maple I am attempting to bonsai has sent up a shoot with two little leaves! It is my reward for watering two leaf-less maple "sticks" all winter.